Criminal Minds: The Elements Of Crime Writing With Kathleen Kent
by Writing Workshops Org Admin
2 years ago
Whether you’re writing historical fiction or contemporary crime novels, certain craft elements remain the same: an engaging plot, robust, multi-dimensional characters, pacing and building tension with the narrative. This three-hour class will focus on effective strategies for writing exciting stories in the crime and mystery genre, where the demands for sustained tension and creative and unique narratives are the keys to writing a killer story. There will be time for short writing exercises, and participants are encouraged to bring their own short stories, or outlines and extracts from their novels-in-progress for discussion of what’s working, and what’s not.
- Building durable, robust characters that can carry the action
- The distillation of dialogue, authentic to time and place
- Narrative pacing
- Maintaining suspense for your readers
- Dynamic conflict resolution
Instructor Kathleen Kent’s fourth book, titled The Dime, is an Edgar-nominated contemporary crime novel set in Dallas. The New York Times picked The Dime as one of their “Latest and Greatest” in crime fiction, March 2017. The second book in the Detective Betty series will be published by Mulholland Books in the spring of 2019. The Dime has been optioned by 20th Century Fox for a TV series, produced by J.J. Abrams and Matt Reeves. Ms. Kent is also the author of three bestselling historical novels, The Heretic’s Daughter, The Traitor’s Wife, and The Outcasts.
Fee: $60 or $45 for former/current students | Live Stream Available!
- Kathleen Kent Presenter
- Sunday, July 22, 2018 - 3:00PM to 6:00PM
- Seminar meets at The Foundry Club at Mockingbird Station: 5307 E. Mockingbird Ln / Dallas, TX / 75206
- Live Stream is available for students who live outside of Dallas. Just let us know when you register.
Click the button below to register for the seminar.