Saturday, August 14th, 2021
Live Seminar Via Zoom 10AM – 1PM CST
Any questions about this class? Use the Chat Button (lower left) to talk with us.
Led by Shayla Raquel, an expert editor, best-selling author, and book marketer. Shayla works one-on-one with writers every day. A lifelong lover of books, she has been in the publishing industry for ten years and specializes in self-publishing.
Your memoir is more than just a true story—it’s your legacy.
In this interactive workshop, #1 bestselling author Shayla Raquel teaches on more than just writing your life story—she shows you how to craft a compelling, unforgettable memoir that matters in this world. Brimming with information, this class educates memoirists on:
- Memoir vs. autobiography — Which one are you really writing?
- Novel elements — From characterization to plot, your memoir must read like a compelling novel, not a diary.
- Theme — Forgiveness, love, freedom: What is the point of your memoir?
- Legalities — Take precautions to protect yourself from very angry family members.
- Revision — That scene may have felt cathartic when you wrote it, but now it's time to revise so the reader can decide for himself if your mother was just like Mommie Dearest.
Shayla will also tackle topics on truth-telling, grudges, outlining, and more. She has worked on memoirs for ten years and will provide several self-published and traditionally published memoirs as examples of what an unforgettable life story looks like.
YOU'LL TAKE HOME:
- List of mistakes to avoid from the start so you don't have to back up during your memoir writing.
- List of solutions if you've finished your memoir but made a few mistakes after all.
- Suggestions to ensure you're safe as a memoir writer (aka, avoid being sued).
- Confidence to write a memoir that actually matters and makes a difference in someone's life.
- Examples of memoirs to help you find your sub-genre.
- Writers attending this seminar will leave with a set of ideas approaches, and exercises they can use to make their writing more emotional resonate.
TAKE THIS CLASS IF:
- You're finding the constraints of your current writing practice too limiting.
- You want exposure to a range of new approaches to bring to your writing practice.
- You want an expanded sense of what is possible in your work.
This class will meet via Zoom on August 14th, 2021 from 10AM - 1PM CST.
You can pay for the course in full or use Affirm to pay over time with equal Monthly Payments. Both options are available at checkout.
Shayla Raquel | Live via Zoom
Saturday, August 14th, 2021 |10AM – 1PM CST
Seminar is fully ONLINE and meets via Zoom
An expert editor, best-selling author, and book marketer, Instructor Shayla Raquel works one-on-one with writers every day. A lifelong lover of books, she has been in the publishing industry for ten years and specializes in self-publishing.
Her award-winning blog teaches new and established authors how to write, publish, and market their books. She is the author of the Pre-Publishing Checklist, “The Rotting” (in Shivers in the Night), The Suicide Tree, #1 bestseller The 10 Commandments of Author Branding, and her book of poetry, All the Things I Should’ve Told You. In her not-so-free time, she acts as organizer for the Yukon Writers’ Society, studies all things true crime, and obsesses over squirrels. She lives in Oklahoma with her dogs, Chanel, Wednesday, and Baker.