Getting Published with Limited Clips: 2 Week One-on-One Mentorship Program, Starts July 8th, 2023
One-on-One Mentorship Starts July 8th, 2023
Any questions about this class? Use the Chat Button (lower left) to talk with us.
Led by Katie Reilly, a freelance journalist and attorney based in the Bay Area in California. Katie's writing generally focuses on women's health, mental health and parenting. Her articles have appeared in The New York Times Magazine, The Washington Post, The Guardian, Elle Magazine, The Boston Globe, Newsweek, USA Today and HuffPost, among other publications.
Katie's students have had their work published in HuffPost, SheKnows, Insider, Today, and Good Housekeeping.When submitting a pitch or essay to a publication, writers are always asked to send clips to show their writing experience.
This ask can often feel overwhelming and discouraging for new writers. What do I send if I have no clips? How do I get more essays published with few or limited clips to display my work? How do I keep track of numerous pitches and stay positive in an often discouraging process?
In this 2 week one-on-one mentorship program, Katie Reilly will support you through the pitching process, providing personalized feedback and encouragement along the way.
By the end of the program you will have a better understanding of the pitch process (how to write captivating pitches, find editors, etc). And of course, we can’t make any promises, but through this program it is also likely that you will end up with a new clip too!
- One on one meeting between mentor and mentee
- Overview of pitch process (how to write captivating pitches, where to pitch them, how to find editors, etc!)
- Feedback on 4 draft pitches
- Suggestions of editors (when possible) and publications to pitch, including access to Katie's writing contacts and opportunities
- Personalized reading suggestions
- Support through a difficult and often discouraging process that requires patience and persistence
- Generate new ideas and turn them into interesting pitches
- A deeper sense of your writing and potential areas of focus
- Access to Katie via email for any questions that come up
- Readings will be tailored to each mentee
Except for the one-on-one meeting with Katie, this class is entirely asynchronous which means you complete the weekly assignments on your own schedule.
Within Wet Ink, our dedicated online classroom, Katie will provide tips and information on how to pitch, how to find editors and other important aspects of the pitching process.
Each week writers will be asked to submit at least 1-2 pitches accompanied by names of publications where they would like to send the pitch. Katie will provide personalized feedback on each pitch (4 total) and also advise regarding which publication might be the perfect fit!
There will be one scheduled call between Katie and you. On this call, Katie will learn more about the challenges you are facing, your writing goals and try to guide you through the pitching obstacles you may be facing.
HOW DOES WET INK WORK?
Wet Ink was built and designed specifically for online writing classes. Wet Ink is private, easy to use, and very interactive. You can learn more about the Wet Ink platform by Watching a Class Demo.
- Instructor: Katie Reilly
- Starts July 8th, 2023
- Course is fully ONLINE and will meet via Wet Ink and One-on-One meetings.