Literary Agent Series: Understanding the Deal on Book-to-Film/TV Rights, Saturday, May 20th, 2023
Saturday, May 20th, 2023
2-Part Zoom Seminar
Live Seminar Via Zoom
Starts at 1PM EST/ 12PM CST/10AM PST
Any questions about this class? Use the Chat Button (lower left) to talk with us.
*A recording of this seminar will be made available to enrollees.
Led by industry-leading literary agent at Trident Media Group Mark Gottlieb.
It’s every writer’s dream to see their writing adapted for the big screen, but how does one make strides toward that goal? This class will explore:
- What Hollywood is looking for in terms of writing and writers they can collaborate with on a film or TV show.
- How written works are typically adapted into screenplays for film/TV.
- Ways in which Hollywood has moved away from the spec script market toward tentpole properties.
- The structure of book-to-film/TV deals (shopping agreements vs. options vs. purchases/production credits).
- Freezing rights during the film/TV deal and the rights studios typically expect to reserve.
- The process of getting a film or TV show made and the writer’s role before, during and after filming.
- What it truly means to have one’s work adapted for film/TV.
- Ways in which literary agencies work with production companies, producers, managers, talent lawyers, talent agencies, etc.
- How to keep the chain of title clear during the book-to-film/TV process.
Mark Gottlieb is a highly ranked literary agent both in overall deals and other individual categories. Using that same initiative and insight for identifying talented writers, he is actively building his own client list of authors. Mark Gottlieb is excited to work directly with authors, helping to manage and grow their careers with all of the unique resources that are available at book publishing’s leading literary agency, Trident Media Group. During his time at Trident Media Group, Mark Gottlieb has represented numerous New York Times bestselling authors, as well as award-winning authors, and has optioned and sold books to film and TV production companies. He previously ran the agency’s audiobook department, in addition to working in foreign rights. Mark Gottlieb is actively seeking submissions in all categories and genres and looking forward to bringing new and established authors to the curious minds of their future readers.
Session 1: 1:00 PM EST - 1:45 PM EST via Zoom
This first section focuses on what Hollywood is looking for in the book-to-film/TV space and how writers can meld their work to the current needs of the marketplace. Time for questions and comments will be afforded toward the end of the session.
Session 2: 1:55 PM EST - 3:00 PM EST via Zoom
The second session will follow with an explanation of everything that comes during and after a film/TV offer were to come about. Time for further questions and comments will be afforded toward the end of the session.
- Adapting writing for film/TV
- Understanding the Hollywood marketplace and mentality
- Changes in the landscape of book-to-film/TV
- The structure of film/TV deals
- Role of the writer in Hollywood productions
- Knowing the benefits of a film/TV adaptation
- The most productive ways to navigate the book-to-film/TV industry
“To find someone in the publishing world these days who possesses such style and grace…a throwback. Crown moldings and brass door knocker in a world of prefab housing.”
—Lesley Kagen, New York Times bestselling author
“He is professional, knowledgeable, and deeply cares about the careers of his clients. …I'm lucky to have Mark in my corner!”
—Alan Hlad, USA Today bestselling author
“My writing career never would have advanced as fast or as far without Mark's help.” —James Breakwell, bestselling author
“He goes above and beyond his work expectations by cultivating caring relationships with his clients, always expressing empathy and patience. He is kind, supportive and knows what he's doing.”
—Ruby Karp, author of Earth Hates Me
ONLINE COURSE STRUCTURE:
This Workshop will meet via Zoom on Saturday, May 20th, 2023.
Session 1 will be 1:00 PM – 1:45 PM EST
15-minute Break Between Sessions
Session 2 will be 1:55 PM – 3:00 PM EST
*Recording will be made available to everyone who enrolls.PAYMENT OPTIONS:
You can pay for the course in full or use Shop Pay or Affirm to pay over time with equal Monthly Payments. Both options are available at checkout.
- Mark Gottlieb | Live via Zoom
- May 20th, 2023
- Seminar is fully ONLINE and meets via Zoom