Writing Workshops Mackinac Island, MI 2022
Our workshops are open to writers who want to strengthen their voice, develop a greater understanding of craft, and forge a path to publication along the way. We take your writing seriously and place the highest importance on teaching the craft of writing so that students can produce meaningful and memorable work that has the opportunity to find a readership beyond the workshop. Our mission is to bring your writing out of the wilderness and into community, and for a week this fall, we think there is no better place to do this than on the sunrise side of a peaceful Midwest island that has been an historic landmark since the 19th century, at our writers retreat.
Though our admissions process is competitive and the quality of writing high, all interested writers are encouraged to apply by February 1st, 2022.
NOTE: Workshop participants will need to have a COVID vaccination.
Lodging at Mission Point Resort
The workshop takes place at Mission Point Resort, and we have a block of rooms reserved for our workshop participants to book discounted accommodations by February 15th, 2022 should you decide to stay there. Mackinac Island is home to many bed-and-breakfasts, inns and the famed Grand Hotel, so where you stay is up to you! However, we can guarantee a special discounted rate at Mission Point Resort through February 15th, 2022.
Please note: there is no motor vehicle transportation on the island; people get around via horse-and-buggy, bicycle and on foot. Most places are no more than a 20-minute walk from Mission Point Resort.
Welcome reception 7-8:30 p.m.
Tuesday, September 6-Friday, September 9, 2022
Mornings: 8 a.m. optional co-writing, followed by 9 a.m.-12 p.m. workshopping and one-on-one instructor meetings. Lunch will be served for the group after each morning session.
Friday, September 9, 2022
8 a.m.: Co-writing
9 a.m.-12 p.m.: Workshopping and instructor meetings
12 p.m.: Retreat concludes.
- Round-trip ferry transportation to Mackinac Island from Mackinaw City, Michigan
- Daily lunch plus beverages & snacks during morning sessions
- 4-day writing workshop, led by Lynne Golodner
- Critical feedback on two writing submissions
- Craft of writing and/or business of writing talks
- One-on-one conference with faculty
- Optional afternoon activities including bicycle tour, island hike, and kayaking excursion.
- Opening night reception
- Final night reception and reading
- The time of your life
- Expanded FAQ at the bottom of this page.
Application & General FAQ
What is the application deadline?
Applications for our September 2022 Mackinac Island Writers Retreat are now open and will close on February 1st, 2022. Early applications are encouraged.
What is your COVID policy?
It is the responsibility of attendees of Writing Workshops to make sure they are vaccinated and have the appropriate documentation.
If the state of Michigan or the United States government forbids entry to the state of Michigan, or if Mission Point Resort closes, for the dates of September 5 - 9, 2022, Writing Workshops will offer a full refund for program fees. Writing Workshops will not reimburse for any airline tickets or additional trip-related expenses incurred. If the Mackinac Island writing workshop takes place on the dates planned, no program fees will be reimbursed, regardless of attendance.
What will my application include?
- Brief bio informing us of your involvement in the writing and literary community, as well as any prior or forthcoming publications. (250 words max)
- Purpose statement explaining why you would like to participate in Writing Workshops Mackinac Island. You can also discuss current manuscripts or writing projects that you might choose to workshop. (500 words max.)
- Writing sample excerpt in poetry, fiction or nonfiction. This does not have to be published work, though that is acceptable, nor does it have to be a piece you plan to workshop at the retreat. Complete works under the word count are not required; excerpts are acceptable. (Fiction/nonfiction: 2500 words max, poetry: up to 3 poems).
When will I know if I've been accepted to the workshop?
We cap our workshop participation at 15 writers for the week. Our goal is to provide an intimate, rigorous workshop environment so that participants can find meaningful connections and excellent feedback on their work. We will accept applicants on a rolling basis until the retreat is full and then begin waitlists. Due to the volume of applications and competitive acceptance, writers are encouraged to apply early. We employ a reading committee of professional writers and editors, and applicants will be notified after the application window closes.
How much does it cost?
Tuition is $1,495.
Are Payment Plans Available?
Yes. Accepted writers will have the option to pay their tuition in full or opt for a payment plan divided into equal monthly payments by selecting Shop Pay or Affirm (for U.S. & Canadian residents) or Lay-Buy (for applicants inside or outside of North America) at checkout.
What does tuition include?
Daily lunch plus beverages & snacks during morning sessions
4-day writing workshop, led by Lynne Golodner
Critical feedback on two writing submissions
Craft of writing and/or business of writing talks
One-on-one conference with faculty
Optional afternoon activities including bicycle tour, island hike and kayaking excursion.
Opening night reception
Final night reception and reading
- Note: accepted writers will have the option to pay their tuition in full or opt for a payment plan divided into equal monthly payments by selecting Shop Pay or Affirm (for U.S. & Canadian residents) or Lay-Buy (for applicants outside of North America) at checkout.
What is tuition payment schedule?
If your application is accepted, full tuition is due by February 10th, 2022. You can pay your tuition in full or opt for a payment plan by selecting Affirm or Shop Pay at checkout.
Where is the hotel and workshop venue?
Immerse yourself in both comfort and inspiration for 5 days, 4 nights on Mackinac Island. The retreat takes place at Mission Point Resort, where accommodations are available at special rates through February 15th, 2022, although participants are invited to stay anywhere on the island that they choose.
Can I share a room with another writer?
If you and another writer are interested in sharing a room, please let Mission Point Resort know and they will be able to accommodate your request.
How late can I apply?
We will accept applications through February 1st, 2022.
What will you do with my email?
We respect your privacy. We will only use your email to send you information about Writing Workshops. We won't sell or rent your email to other organizations.
I have a question not answered here.
Please contact us and we’ll reply promptly. You can also Chat with us (lower left of your screen).