3-Month Mentorship: Launch Your Screenwriting Career with Taz Skylar, Apply Now!
Please do not pay for the mentorship until you receive a formal acceptance notification via email.
Click HERE to Apply. Early applications are encouraged as space is limited.
Payment plans are available for this mentorship program.
Any questions about this mentorship? Use the Chat Button (lower left) to talk with us.
Led by award winning writer Taz Skylar. Born in The Canary Islands to an Arabic father and a British Mother, Taz was kicked out of school at age 15 and worked at a factory until the age of 20.
He's now an accomplished writer whose last feature film was produced by Amazon Prime in 2022 and is due for release in April 2023. Before that, Taz wrote his first play that debuted on stage in London and was nominated for an Olivier Award in 2019.
Taz currently has various feature films and TV shows in development with Ascendant Films (Producers of the BAFTA-nominated feature BOILING POINT). As an actor, Taz is currently playing one of the lead roles in the NETFLIX Original series of ONE PIECE.
The Ideal Participant loves writing and wants to learn the tools to jump-start a successful career in scriptwriting for TV, Film, and Stage.
In this mentorship with Taz Skylar, you will learn screenwriting from someone who had no prior connections to the film industry, no family support, no formal education, and has gone on to make a career out of writing.
Taz is passionate about nurturing fresh new voices into the space. This isn't a mentorship program where you'll be taught the standard hero's journey or the classic three-act structure that everything follows.
This program will guide you through a distilled version of everything you NEED to know about writing as a craft and as an Industry. You'll understand and internalize where art meets commerce. Taz will explain and guide you through the craft and business of writing so that it makes sense and enables you to take action immediately.
Taz has mentored many emerging writers and guided them from their first script to signing with top agencies to having projects optioned and full-length pieces of work produced.
This mentorship is designed to teach screenwriting mentees a system by which they can churn out scripts consistently and quickly and develop a sense of which projects to strategically focus their energy to forward their career as a writer.
- A system to take you from idea to first draft (including structure, form, characters, dialogue, tone, world-building, and more).
- The know-how and skills required to develop a script further.
- A sense of knowing when your script is ready.
- The awareness to choose the right projects to focus on at the right time at different stages of your career.
- Finding your voice, style, and originality as a writer.
- How to budget your time to juggle writing and your day job when you start.
- An appreciation of how each medium works differently in its structure and process.
- An understanding of the industry and the steps to get involved in it.
By the end of the three-month mentorship, writers will have:
- At least one finished piece of work.
- An actionable plan and roadmap to getting it made.
- The skill and knowledge to write scripts consistently going forward.
- The ability to analyze the things you watch and unpack why and how they work.
- Techniques to get through writer's block.
- How to pick the right story.
- How to find producers and make them want to work with you.
- A full understanding of the narrative structure (which applies to any piece of work, whether it be shorts, features, TV shows or plays)
- The ability to build original and three-dimensional characters.
- How to development of your own writing style and voice.
- The know-how to effectively construct comedy vs constructing drama.
- How to create suspense and/or intrigue.
- How to write great dialogue.
- How to build the right tone into your script.
- An awareness of all relevant production companies, funding bodies, and agencies, and revised cover letters, in order to reach out to them.
This mentorship will teach you how different screenwriting is from other writing formats, such as poetry, short stories, and novels. Its focus is to cultivate skills as a visual storyteller with the script serving as a blueprint for the story. It will show you how to tell stories cinematically and how approachable writing a script can be.
Every writer is different so this mentorship is holistic in its philosophy to help overcome judgment, build confidence and learn at the writer’s pace. This comprehensive mentorship will guide you through the creative process and help you start writing regardless of experience or type of script you want to create. Together, we will explore what excites you about cinema and use that as a jumping off point toward creating an innovative and compelling screenplay.
How It Works:
You must first submit an application. Upon acceptance into the mentorship program, you will schedule an initial one-on-one Zoom session with Taz to discuss where you are at as a writer and your goals, allowing him to get a sense of your previous experience, what to focus on, and where to start.
You will then meet with Taz by Zoom every other week until the end of the program. This program is flexible and moves at the writer’s pace. Between these meetings, you will be given reading, writing, and watching assignments in service to finishing a screenplay.
The goal is to have at least a first draft or an outline you’re excited to start scripting by the end of the program.
The Three-Month Mentorship Consists of the Following:
- One-on-one initial consultation via Zoom to discuss your experience, specific needs, and aspirations
- Access to mentor via email for three months
- Meeting between mentor and mentee via Zoom every other week to discuss writing assignments and progress
- Monthly assignments (stories/craft essays/art/films/etc.) tailored to your individual needs and interests
- Personal guidance aimed at building the writer’s confidence
- Workshop conversations regarding cinema, genre tropes and how to polish your ideas
- Zoom conversations to discuss progress and submission
- Based on each Zoom call, Taz will assign new material (stories, essays, interviews, films, etc.) to aid in growth
- Available to answer questions/provide support at any time via email
Mentee’s Weekly Responsibilities:
- Complete writing assignments
- Read/listen/watch assigned ancillary materials and discuss how it applies to their script
- Participate in email conversations about progress
Full Tuition for the 3-month program is $2,400. Accepted writers must commit to the full three months and meet all assigned deadlines. You can pay the tuition in full or opt for equal monthly payments by selecting Affirm or Shop Pay at checkout. If you create a monthly payment plan using Affirm, you can do so once you add "Full Tuition" to your cart, enter your contact information, and are on the payment page.
Additional Program Information:
You must first submit an application.
Tuition is $2,400
The Mentorship is fully online, and students may participate from anywhere.
NOTE: Shifting some dates around may be necessary but any changes will be communicated well in advance, if possible.
Contact us HERE if you have any questions about this program.
Mentor Taz Skylar was born in The Canary Islands to an Arabic father and a British Mother, Taz was kicked out of school at age 15 and worked at a factory until the age of 20. He's now an accomplished writer whose last feature film was produced by Amazon Prime in 2022 and is due for release in April 2023. Before that, Taz wrote his first play that debuted on stage in London and was nominated for an Olivier Award in 2019. Taz currently has various feature films and TV shows in development with Ascendant Films (Producers of the BAFTA-nominated feature BOILING POINT). As an actor, Taz is currently playing one of the lead roles in the NETFLIX Original series of ONE PIECE.