Literary Agent Series: Intro to Book Publishing/Book Publishing Overview Zoom Seminar, Saturday, January 13th, 2024
Saturday, January 13th, 2024
2-Part Zoom Seminar
Live Seminar Via Zoom
Starts at 1PM EST/ 12PM CST/10AM PST
Any questions about this class? Use the Chat Button (lower left) to talk with us.
*A recording of this seminar will be made available to enrollees.
Led by industry-leading literary agent at Trident Media Group Mark Gottlieb.
Discover the fascinating world of book publishing in our comprehensive Intro to Book Publishing/Book Publishing Overview workshop. In this engaging 2-hour session, you'll gain valuable insights into the entire journey a manuscript takes from the author's desk to the reader's hands.
Guided by an experienced industry professional, you'll explore the key stages of the publishing process, starting with manuscript submission and the critical role of editing in refining your work. Learn about the creative design and formatting that bring a book's pages to life, and delve into the intricacies of distribution and the various publishing formats available today.
Aspiring authors and curious enthusiasts alike will benefit from an in-depth discussion on effective marketing strategies that propel books into the spotlight and engage readers. Discover the power of cover design, author branding, and the essential role of social media and online platforms in reaching your target audience.
By the end of the workshop, you'll walk away with a comprehensive understanding of how the worlds of creativity and commerce intersect in the publishing industry. Whether you dream of seeing your own work in print or simply want to gain insight into this dynamic field, our Intro to Book Publishing/Book Publishing Overview workshop is your gateway to navigating the multifaceted world of literary creation and distribution. Join us and embark on your journey into the exciting realm of book publishing.
Session 1: 1:00 PM EST - 1:45 PM EST via Zoom
Session 2: 1:55 PM EST - 3:00 PM EST via Zoom
- Understanding of the Publishing Journey: Learn the step-by-step process a manuscript undergoes from the moment it leaves the author's hands to when it reaches its readers. This includes the stages of manuscript submission, editing, design, and distribution.
- The Importance of Editing: Gain an appreciation for the crucial role that editing plays in refining and perfecting a book, ensuring it meets the standards of both the author and the publishing industry.
- Insights into Book Design and Formatting: Acquire knowledge about the creative processes that transform a simple manuscript into an engaging book, including the design, layout, and formatting that make a book visually appealing.
- Effective Marketing Strategies: Discover the strategies that are vital for a book's success in the market, including cover design, author branding, and harnessing the power of online platforms and social media to reach and captivate your target audience.
- Intersection of Creativity and Commerce: Grasp how the worlds of art and business come together in the publishing industry. This understanding will equip attendees with the knowledge of how to navigate the challenges and opportunities in both literary creation and the business of selling books.
Students attending this seminar will leave not only with a broad understanding of the publishing industry but also with actionable insights that could guide their own journey should they wish to venture into the world of writing and publishing.
“To find someone in the publishing world these days who possesses such style and grace…a throwback. Crown moldings and brass door knocker in a world of prefab housing.”
—Lesley Kagen, New York Times bestselling author
“He is professional, knowledgeable, and deeply cares about the careers of his clients. …I'm lucky to have Mark in my corner!”
—Alan Hlad, USA Today bestselling author
“My writing career never would have advanced as fast or as far without Mark's help.” —James Breakwell, bestselling author
“He goes above and beyond his work expectations by cultivating caring relationships with his clients, always expressing empathy and patience. He is kind, supportive and knows what he's doing.”
—Ruby Karp, author of Earth Hates Me
"I wanted to thank you for your time this weekend for the Hook and Query writing seminar. It's hard to know from reading articles alone what a query letter or pitch should look like." -Jed H., Workshop Student
"It was my absolute pleasure to meet you virtually on Saturday! Thank you for the wealth of detailed information and on-the-spot, yet carefully crafted critiques you shared with each of us— the experience is treasured, and invaluable." -Mica K., Workshop Student
"Saturday’s class opened my eyes to the mistakes of my query submissions, which boil down to two crucial elements: word count & comps. Soliciting a bloated manuscript with no comps outside of a couple of 20+ year-old movie references advertised a novice understanding of the publishing industry, making me a rightful candidate for the rejection pile." -William W., Workshop Student
"Thank you, Mark, for this wonderful workshop!" -Diane G., Workshop Student
“You gave me enough writing technique and marketing information to feel like I can get started with confidence. Thank you!” — Workshop Student
“Thank you for being so diligent, so focused and so professional in your approach to the class. I found the whole experience exceeded my most optimistic expectations.” — Workshop Student
ONLINE COURSE STRUCTURE:
This Workshop will meet via Zoom on Saturday, January 13th, 2024.
Session 1 will be 1:00 PM – 1:45 PM EST
10-minute Break Between Sessions
Session 2 will be 1:55 PM – 3:00 PM EST
*Recordings of all sessions will be made available to everyone who enrolls.PAYMENT OPTIONS:
You can pay for the course in full or use Shop Pay or Affirm to pay over time with equal Monthly Payments. Both options are available at checkout.